123RD U.S. OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP LOCAL QUALIFYING
POLICIES, PROCEDURES, & GUIDELINES:
- Prior to participating, participants must review the SCGA’s Policies & Procedures.
- All players will participate in an 18-hole stroke-play qualifier.
- Qualifiers will advance to U.S. Open Final Qualifying on either May 22 or June 5.
- The 123rd U.S. Open Championship will be held on June 15 – 18, 2023 at The Los Angeles Country Club (North Course) in Los Angeles, CA.
- The final number of qualifying spots at each site will be available from the Committee on the day of play.
- In the event of a tie for the last qualifying place or an alternate’s position, there will be a hole-by-hole playoff immediately following the conclusion of regular play.
STARTING TIMES & PAIRINGS:
- Starting times and pairings will be emailed to players and posted online at scga.org/tournaments/champ-cal/usga-qualifiers one week in advance of the qualifier.
- There will not be a player registration process on the morning of the qualifier.
- Lead groups should plan to be at their assigned tee 10 minutes in advance of their starting time. Subsequent groups are encouraged to arrive once the preceding group has teed off. Players arriving late will be penalized under Rule 5.3a of the Rules of Golf. For example, the 9:00 a.m. starting time is defined as 9:00:00, and players arriving after that time are considered late.
- The driving range at each site will be available one hour prior to the first starting time unless otherwise noted in the qualifying site-specific information. Range balls will be provided.
- Practice rounds are a privilege, not a right. The SCGA works with a variety of facilities throughout the course of the year, all of which have unique policies and procedures when it comes to practice rounds. These opportunities will be provided at the sole discretion of the host facility.
- We are guests and must follow all facility policies and guidelines when on property. Behavior during practice rounds will be subject to the SCGA Code of Conduct.
QUALIFYING SITE-SPECIFIC INFORMATION
Ironwood CC (South), Palm Desert (Tuesday, May 9):
- Practice Rounds: Call the golf shop at (760) 766-1065. Rounds can be scheduled after May 1. Green fee is $75 with cart fee included.
- Tee Markers & Yardages: Play will be from the USGA tee markers. Please click here for hole-by-hole yardages.
- Food Service & Purchases: Spikes Grill will be open at 7 a.m. All major credit cards are accepted for food and beverage purchases.
RULES OF PLAY
RULES OF PLAY:
- The Rules of Golf as approved by the USGA and The R&A Rules Limited govern play.
- Local Rules and Terms of the Competition can be found on the USGA Hard Card and the Notice to Players that will be emailed to players the day prior to the qualifier and distributed on-site.
- Distance-Measure Devices: Permitted during qualifying rounds but not at the championship proper.
- Groove and Punch Mark Specifications: Local Rule as prescribed in Section 8 of the Committee Procedures is in effect, except as modified by the applicable championship Entry Application. Model Local Rule G-2.
- Prohibiting Use of Certain Types of Shoes: During a round, a player must not wear shoes with spikes of any design that are entirely or partially made of metal if such metal may come into contact with the course. Model Local Rule G-7.
- Information on Green-Reading Materials can be found here.
- Click here to review the SCGA Pace of Play Policy.
GOLF CARTS & PULL/PUSH CARTS:
- During a round, a player and/or caddie must not ride on any form of motorized transportation except as authorized or later approved by the Committee. Model Local Rule G-6.
- Players seeking to use a golf cart due to a medical or ADA-related reason must contact the USGA in advance of the qualifier.
- Pull or push carts (including motorized pull or push carts) are allowed.
CADDIES & SPECTATORS:
- Players may provide their own caddie.
- Spectators are permitted but are not allowed in carts. Spectators must adhere to all policies set forth by the facility.
Appropriate golf attire must be worn, including adhering to any club-specific policies.
CANCELATIONS & REFUNDS:
To withdraw prior to the start of the qualifier, a player must contact both the:
- SCGA Championships & Golf Operations Department at firstname.lastname@example.org, AND
- USGA Championship Administration Department at email@example.com.